Learn about what I like and more

If you have any questions or suggestions for me; email me please and say "It's about you're ___ blog"

Countdown to Christmas by Hallmark Channel

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

National Summit on Disability Policy 2010

A comprehensive dialogue to shape the national disability agenda.

July 25–27, 2010

Renaissance Hotel, Washington, D.C.

This event hosted by the National Council on Disability with planning support provided by New Editions Consulting, Inc.

Event Information

Hosted by the National Council on Disability (NCD), this Summit commemorates the 20th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) with a reception, an ADA retrospective and a series of working meetings. The results of the meetings will help shape disability policy and programs for the next decade. Topics for discussion include the following 10 tracks:

* Employment
* Civil Rights
* Education
* Healthcare
* Transportation
* Housing
* Telecommunications and Technology
* International Affairs
* Emergency Management
* Statistics and Data

The NCD Selection Committee will invite delegates that include the full range of expertise and diversity required. Space is limited so not all registrants can be accepted. Delegate invitations will be distributed starting in January 2010.

There are limited Scholarship Funds available: If selected, consumer delegates (those individuals not affiliated with an organization) will have the option of requesting scholarship funds to cover hotel accommodations and meal per diem. Details will be provided in the invitation letter.

This is what I summited:

As a person with developmental disabilities, I have been involved in different organizations since I was 10 years old. I joined Special Olympics Tippecanoe County at age 10. In 2003, I started taking classes and participating in Athlete Leadership Programs through Special Olympics. As a Global Messenger, I speak to others about my experiences in Special Olympics and what the program has done for me. I have been active in making policy as a member of the Tippecanoe County ARC Board for the past three years. I have been the President for Aktion Club for the past year. Sense Aktion Club started in 2004 I have been secretary. I have my own blog witch I use to talk about Special Olympics on Blogger. I do many things on the internet and could teach others about using it. Although I’ve never had to be on SSI or SSDI, I know from others what they go through and hope I can contribute to easing that process. I don’t know much about it, but I am willing to help. I work at Target and get my own insurance and I would hope that someday those on SSI or SSDI would be able to get their own insurance. And, leave only for those that can’t work at all that have developmental disabilities. I would someday like to write a book for new parents. I want to tell how it’s like from someone with an intellectual disability. I ride the bus a lot too.

I hope I get the chance to go and make a difference.

No comments:

Chronicles of Narnia

Book 1 The Magician’s Nephew

Book 2 The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Book 3 The Horse and His Boy

Book 4 Prince Caspian

Book 5 The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Book 6 The Silver Chair

Book 7 The Last Battle

SOITC

Jennifer Hoover (Special Olympics Athlete and Advocate)