Learn about what I like and more

If you have any questions or suggestions for me; email me please and say "It's about you're ___ blog"

Countdown to Christmas by Hallmark Channel

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

My Life My Story

March is Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month and those with intellectual disabilities are not getting the respect they should.

People don’t understand those with intellectual disabilities just want to be accepted like anyone else would. We have been called by the wrong name by society long enough. Yes doctors still use it; people that have learned wrong still use it. People with intellectual disabilities just learn slower than anyone else. Does not everyone have a disability in their own way? I mean when people use the r-word it hurts us very much. Others say it’s not wrong, but how would you feel if someone called you ‘retarded’? I say those that use that word really don’t ‘respect’ those that are different and don’t want to accept us into society. Sheila Kinker changed the meaning of the r-word at the state level awhile back. And, it’s about time.

I am a leader in Special Olympics and I speak for all those that can’t. Yes I might be much slower than you or need extra help or there are those that can’t seem to learn at all. But can’t we all just get along? I don’t hear others use the ‘n-word’ for blacks anymore. So why should this be any different? Aren’t we all the same in God’s eyes?

It’s hard enough for those like us to find jobs that we can stick with. Some people just don’t get why others are different. Why does it take so long for others to see that different is good not bad? Wabash Center is there for those that can’t hold jobs in the community. Some can’t hold jobs at all.

I just hope you can get my meaning and change your train of thought. Respect is the new r-word!

--This will be in the J and C in the paper or online.--

http://www.jconline.com/opinions

1 comment:

Ash said...

Hey Jennifer, I find your post VERY interesting. How I got to your blog is a bit complicated, if you remember you joined my poems' page on fb today, and I always check the people who've liked my page to make sure they are the right kind of people, i'll tell you some other time what i mean but to keep it short, when i clicked your profile's info section (i normally only read the info section of the people), I found it very nice and I'd want you to know that you are INDEED very special, much special than the rest of us, and those who use the r-word, don't listen to them, you're far more precious than them, and your time is far more valuable to be spent thinking about them. God loves us all equally, and THAT's what matters! Keep your spirits high and you'll always be in my prayers....
regards,
Ash! :) <3

Chronicles of Narnia

Book 1 The Magician’s Nephew

Book 2 The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Book 3 The Horse and His Boy

Book 4 Prince Caspian

Book 5 The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Book 6 The Silver Chair

Book 7 The Last Battle

SOITC

Jennifer Hoover (Special Olympics Athlete and Advocate)